Saturday, May 15, 2010

Henna, day one

So here's day one of the henna, well, after it was washed off that is. I mixed it with lemon juice and added some sugar and lavender oil. I let it sit over night and then some, so it was on for just under 12 hours. The pic was taken about 10 hours after I removed the paste. It's a nice dark rust orange/brown color and from what I've read it will darken over the next day. If I see a difference I'll take more pics and post them.
So I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Drawing is definitely not one of my strong points but all of the instructional videos I watched broke the steps down so the designs seemed managable. I think it turned out pretty decent. My leaves are a little wonky and there's other areas I could have done better, but it still makes me smile every time I look at it.
I will mention though that my skin feels a little dry. I'm assuming that it's from the lemon juice that I mixed in with the henna. Not to mention, after it dried a bit I put on a sugar and lemon juice mixture to protect it. But it's not bothersome, just something I thought I would note.
So I think in the next day or so I'll do one on my foot. I really enjoyed the actual process of "drawing" the henna on. It was slow and fluid, rather meditative. I could see myself coming home from a stressfull day, getting out my henna and drawing away. :)


No comments: